Wisconsin GI Bill®

What is the Wisconsin GI Bill®?

The Wisconsin GI Bill® provides tuition remission for up to 128 credits or 8 semesters, whichever is longer, to eligible Wisconsin veterans. It can be used at any University of Wisconsin school or Wisconsin Technical College. There is no time limit to use the benefit, so you can continue using it until you run out. If you are looking for information on using this benefit as a dependent, please visit our Wisconsin GI Bill® – Dependents webpage.

An eligible veteran is someone who:

  1. Served honorably in the armed forces during a qualifying period outlined in the WDVA B0105 (hint: Global War on Terrorism service qualifies)
  2. Entered military service as a Wisconsin resident OR you have resided in the state for the past 5 consecutive years
  3. Is a Wisconsin resident for tuition purposes

This benefit can be used simultaneously with federal education benefits such as partial Post 9/11 GI Bill® , the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve, or Dependents’ Educational Assistance. If you have eligibility for the Post 9/11 at 100%, you must exhaust the benefit before switching to the Wisconsin GI Bill®.

You are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 to take advantage of the Wisconsin GI Bill®.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What does the Wisconsin GI Bill® cover?

The Wisconsin GI Bill® will cover:

  • In-state tuition for any UW-Madison undergraduate, graduate, or professional program
  • Non-degree seeking (such as continuing studies) students taking classes for credit (CEUs are not eligible) or as part of an official certificate (pdf).
  • Segregated fees

The Wisconsin GI Bill® will not cover (not an exhaustive list):

Executive MBA Students: You are charged fees for technology and international travel each semester the Wisconsin GI Bill® will not cover. To get a better idea of this cost, please contact our office or the admissions staff for your respective program.


The Wisconsin GI Bill® requires a two-step application process. First, you’ll apply through the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) to verify your service. Second, you’ll apply to UW-Madison.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Apply to WDVA

Complete the online application. You’ll need to create an account with WDVA on myWisVets.

Login to myWisVets

Alternatively, you can complete WDVA form 2030 (pdf) and attach supporting documents (listed on the top of the form).

  1. If you qualify under the 5-year residency clause, you will also have to complete an Affidavit of Residency (pdf).
  2. Submit your application to WDVA using one of these methods:

Apply to UW-Madison

Once admitted to UW-Madison, fill out a WDVA form 2029 (pdf) and submit with supporting documents (see page 3 of the form) to our office.

Next Steps

  1. Apply for other education benefits you intend to use.
  2. Contact University Veteran Services. If you start classes in less than 90 days, let us know you intend to use benefits (even if you’re waiting on approval).
  3. Complete a FAFSA®. You can learn more about using traditional forms of financial aid on our financial aid & education benefits page.
  4. Confirm your benefits. You’ll complete this process every semester to let us know you’d like to use your GI Bill®.


University Veteran Services
school certifying officials

Call us at:

Email us at:

Location pin for University Veterans ServicesUniversity Veterans Services
333 East Campus Mall
10th floor, Suite 10320
Madison, WI 53715

Monday - Friday
9:00am - 4:00pm


Drop-ins are always welcome, but appointments are encouraged.

Please visit our About Us page to make an appointment with a member of our staff.