University of Wisconsin–Madison

Applying to UW–Madison

Welcome! Whatever your academic interests, the University of Wisconsin–Madison delivers high-level educational, public service, and leadership opportunities.

The application process

Our Office of Admission & Recruitment has special information about admissions for veterans.

You will follow the same process and requirements as our freshman and transfer students. If you are applying as a freshman, please plan to submit your results from either the ACT or SAT tests. Students can apply using either the UW System Application or the Common Application.

Although veterans are given special consideration, you are expected to show a level of achievement in your course work similar to that of other applying students.

Applications open August 1. Find upcoming application deadlines on this page. Applications received after these dates may be considered if your circumstance warrants.

Letter of recommendation

We encourage veterans, active military service personnel, or other applicants who have been away from formal classroom teaching for an extended period to request a letter of recommendation from someone who can speak to your academic potential. This could be an employer (preferably a supervisor or manager), a program or departmental trainer, a commanding officer, or some other individual in an official instructional capacity.

Military transfer credit

Receive 6 credits for Basic Training: Enrolling students who have completed basic training will receive up to six transfer credits in military science per the approval of a campus ROTC unit commander.

When you’re on campus, take your DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to one of the ROTC units to get a memorandum awarding credits, and give the memorandum to the Office of Admissions & Recruitment.

Army ROTC | Navy/Marine ROTC | Air Force ROTC

In addition, UW–Madison evaluates military transcripts for possible transfer credit. In general, learning experiences at military schools are occupational in nature and therefore not eligible for transfer credit. Courses must be similar to a course in our undergraduate curriculum and applicable to one of our academic programs to receive transfer credit.

The following may be eligible for transfer credit:

  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP): Credit is granted for an exam score of 65 when the examination was taken before the student completed 16 semester hours of college credit. Review the CLEP Credit Guide for more details.
  • Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center: We accept up to 16 credits for sequential courses in a foreign language; we do not award transfer credit for language courses of an applied nature.

The following are not eligible for transfer credit:

  • DANTES Standardized Subject Tests (DSST)
  • Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) courses on AARTS or SMART transcripts.


Wisconsin resident (“in-state”) tuition rate. Veterans qualify for the Wisconsin resident tuition rate. Dependents qualify for the Wisconsin resident tuition rate if you’re using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, you live in Wisconsin, and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.

This will be your assessed tuition rate as long as your are continually enrolled at UW–Madison, even if your other tuition benefits are exhausted. You remain eligible if you are continuously enrolled at UW–Madison, or any UW school or Wisconsin state technical college. You are considered continuously enrolled as long as you have no more than a two-semester break at the same degree level (i.e. undergraduate).

Student must live in Wisconsin while attending UW–Madison, except when participating in institutionally sponsored programs, such as internships, co-op, or study abroad.


Tuition benefits may include the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) and Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (Chapter 30).

Enroll within three years of discharge. “Date of enrollment” is the date when you pay your enrollment deposit to UW–Madison.

Dependents of veterans

Tuition benefits may include the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) or Fry Scholarship.

Enroll within three years of discharge of the veteran who is transferring the benefit (Post-9/11 GI Bill® only). “Date of enrollment” is the date when you pay your enrollment deposit to UW–Madison. The three-year deadline does not apply for Fry Scholarship recipients. You would be always eligible for Wisconsin resident tuition rates as long as you first enroll at UW–Madison using a Fry Scholarship.

You are not eligible for the Wisconsin resident tuition rate is you are receiving benefits from a service member who is still on active duty. However, you may apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Direct your UW–Madison admissions questions to:

Lori Christianson

Office of Admissions & Recruitment
Suite 1101
702 West Johnson Street
Madison, WI 53715-1007
(608) 262-1237

ACT test dates
SAT test dates

Office of Financial Aid

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)