Please contact the VA Certifying Official, Joe Rasmussen (608) 265-4628, or John Bechtol, Assistant Dean of Students (608) 890-2701, to receive assistance with questions and paperwork.
Contacting the Federal VA
The best way to contact VA Education is the online Ask a Question site. In addition to asking questions, this site may be used to submit electronic files to the VA.
The VA Education Office may also be reach toll-free at: 1(888) 442-4551.
Contacting UW-Madison Financial Aid
Apply for Federal VA Benefits: VONAPP
Post 9/11 GI Bill
The Yellow Ribbon program covers unpaid non-resident charges for student veterans who are approved the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate.
Available slots will be filled with students on a first come first served basis. If you are already participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program at UW-Madison you do not need to reapply.
To apply for participation in the program:
- Complete and submit the Yellow Ribbon Application.
- Along with the application, submit your Certificate of Eligibility Letter from the VA indicating approval for benefits at the 100% rate.
Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS)
Free general university program available year round for the majority of subjects including Math, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Foreign Languages, Economics, Statistics, and more.
There are options of two hour weekly tutoring in groups of no more than six, as well as drop-in tutoring in College Library for those who do not need consistent weekly assistance. View the website sited below to find the GUTS Drop-In Schedule as well as GUTS office hours in the Student Activity Center.
(608) 263-5666 email@example.com
Department Specific Learning Centers
- Math Tutorial Program: Mandatory attendance at two 50 minute sessions per week http://math.library.wisc.edu/tutoring.html
- Physics Learning Center: 2337/2338 Chamberlin Hall; for students in Physics 103, 104, 207, and 208 http://www.physics.wisc.edu/plc
- Chemistry Learning Center: Open for the Fall and Spring semesters in room B311 of the Chemistry Building (608) 265-5497 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Learning Center (BLC): Sign up for office hours or group tutorials, or find online handouts and materials used in the tutorials. http://bus.wisc.edu/bba/mybiz/academic-support
- Engineering Undergraduate Learning Center (ULC): Free tutoring in Chemistry, Math, Physics, Computer Science, and Engineering in Wendt Library.
Jenny Binzley: (608) 265-1099 Jbinzley@engr.wisc.edu
- The Writing Center: Assistance for all aspects of your writing by appointment (608) 263-1992 or 6172 Helen C. White Hall http://writing.wisc.edu/
Students using federal GI Bills can receive a supplemental payment for up to $100 a month for approved private tutors. You must be currently enrolled and at least half-time.
UW-Madison approved tutors for VA Tutoring:
Veterans, Educators, and Traditional Students (V.E.T.S.) Organization
McBurney Disability Resource Center
Taking Summer Courses
Post 9/11 GI Bill
Rate of Pursuit:
How can I contact the VA?
What do I need to complete if I am a transfer student?
Federal Benefits (Post 9/11, GI Bill-SR, Montgomery GI Bill, etc.)
How many months of benefits do I have remaining?
When will I receive my GI Bill payment?
Post 9/11 GI Bill
Montgomery GI Bill and MGIB-SR (Chapter 30 and 1606/1607)
If you are called to active duty, you must contact Veteran Services.
1. Fall 2014 events
2. Educational benefits updates
3. 1-credit hour Veteran Information Course registration info
4. Federal Work Study opportunity
5. Campus Research Study in need of Veteran participants